Privacy Collection Notice
Why we collect your personal information
The University of Melbourne is collecting and processing your personal information to:
- administer all activity involving the selling and purchasing of University product types. In some instances, this involves creation of a user account which is required to purchase certain products/services;
- send financial data to the University’s central system for processing; and
- inform general business analysis, quality assurance, reporting and planning activities.
The “processing" of personal information refers to all activities relating to the management of your personal information, from its collection and use, through to its storage and disposal, and everything in between.
How we process your personal information
We will process your personal information as necessary for our legitimate interests, in accordance with applicable privacy laws, and only under the following circumstances:
- for the purpose for which it was collected; or
- a related purpose which you might reasonably expect; or
- where you have consented to the processing; or
- if we are required or permitted to do so by law.
The University of Melbourne is using third party platform Adobe Commerce to manage all transactions involving the selling and purchasing of University product types. Financial data provided by purchasers is passed directly from the consumer’s browser to the payment gateway (Stripe) with no credit card information stored by the University. Date of Birth information is only collected for the purchase of academic transcripts for verification purposes and is not stored on any users account.
In some instances, your personal information may be transferred outside of Victoria or Australia (for example, where providers are located internationally or use a cloud-based system with servers based in international jurisdictions). We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the interstate or overseas transfer of personal information is in accordance with our privacy obligations as outlined in the University’s General Privacy Statement.
We will hold the personal information you provided us for 7 years after completion of the financial year in which the record was created. After this period, it will be securely destroyed in compliance with the University’s retention and disposal authority.
If you choose not to provide the information requested, we will not be able to process your payment and provide the requested product or service.
Further privacy information
- our lawful basis for processing personal information;
- collection, use and disclosure of personal information;
- accuracy, security and storage of personal information;
- retention and disposal of personal information;
- your individual rights; and
- applicable privacy laws.
You may request access to, or correction of, your personal information we hold, or exercise your individual rights as applicable under relevant privacy laws, unless this would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others or would contravene the University’s other legislative obligations.
If the lawful collection of your personal information is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of our processing of your information prior to you withdrawing your consent.
Last updated: 21st August 2022